Nashville, Tenn.: Across the nation, United Methodists are gearing up to #BringChange to celebrate World Malaria Day on April 25 by hosting various events, such as pancake breakfasts, lemonade stands, 5K walks and fashion shows to raise funds and awareness for Imagine No Malaria.
Imagine No Malaria, an initiative of the people of The United Methodist Church, is dedicated to preventing and treating malaria, a disease that kills one child every 60 seconds. Participants also are encouraged to literally bring change – and dollar bills and checks – by incorporating Imagine No Malaria donation box banks for collecting contributions at events throughout the month.
Imagine No Malaria has created resources for churches to use to host and promote events, as well as create social media buzz to #BringChange:
- Utilize the World Malaria Day Resource Toolkit from Imagine No Malaria and Rethink Church to organize an event, including registering the event with Rethink Church to spread the word.
- Order Imagine No Malaria donation box banks and stickers to #BringChange, both of which are free to order.
- Get downloadable resources, including PowerPoint graphics, web ads, themed sermon starters and worship resources for use to promote World Malaria Day.
- Shout out a powerful message on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr via Thunderclap. When a specified number of people sign up to support it, the Thunderclap will blast out a timed Facebook post or tweet from Imagine No Malaria supporters on April 25 – at the same time – creating a giant wave of attention. Join Imagine No Malaria’s World Malaria Day Thunderclap.
- Use hashtags on social media platforms to talk about World Malaria Day events: #BringChange #DefeatMalaria #WorldMalariaDay
- Add a special World Malaria Day Twibbon to your Facebook and/or Twitter profile photo to spread the word and let people know you support World Malaria Day.
- Use Facebook to raise awareness by changing the cover image to the one on Imagine No Malaria’s Facebook page. Like the Imagine No Malaria page to receive updates with shareable videos and photos posts in support of World Malaria Day.
- #BringChange with prayers for those at risk of death from malaria by posting a prayer on Imagine No Malaria’s Facebook page on or in the days leading up to World Malaria Day.
Imagine No Malaria is committed to ending death and suffering from malaria through prevention, communication, trained health workers and facilities, and grassroots education. To date, INM has raised more than $66 million in gifts and pledges. United Methodists across the world are working hard to reach and celebrate the initiative’s $75 million goal before the denomination’s General Conference in 2016.
Safe, secure and easy giving opportunities are available on the site so that anyone can participate and join the effort to eliminate this disease. Visitors can make one-time gifts and pledges of any amount, but many individuals participate with a recurring pledge of $28 per month over three years, to potentially save the lives of up to 100 children at risk for contracting the deadly disease.
About Imagine No Malaria
Imagine No Malaria is an extraordinary ministry of the people of The United Methodist Church, putting faith into action to end preventable deaths from malaria in Africa, especially the death of a child or a mother. With a comprehensive approach to fighting this killer disease, Imagine No Malaria empowers the people of Africa to improve health infrastructure and achieve a sustainable victory over malaria.