UMCOR Disaster Case Management Training Returns to the Northwest
By the Rev. Stanley Norman
One of UMCOR’s primary activities following a disaster is to provide long-term case management to survivors. Disaster Case Management differs significantly from normal social assistance case work. Disaster case managers walk with the survivors through the entire process of returning to a “new normal.” Case management is normally done through and with a long-term recovery organization of some sort. Case managers are sometimes volunteers, but they are more often employees of long-term recovery groups and other non-profits. Ideally, case managers live in the communities where they are serving, at least while they are working.
This summer’s wildfires in the West have created an urgent need for case managers. UMCOR (the United Methodist Committee on Relief) has scheduled a Basic Disaster Case Management course in Spokane Valley, Wash. in October to help meet that demand.
Cathy Earl, UMCOR’s Executive Secretary for U.S. Disaster Response, will teach the three-day class. The training will take place at:
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, October 15, 2015, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Workshop)
The workshop on Thursday is designed to give the case managers who have been trained on Tuesday and Wednesday an opportunity to exercise their new skills and interact with the people they will be working for, and with. Members of long-term recovery organizations who will be supervising case managers, and responding to the unmet needs of survivors as identified by case managers, are encouraged to attend the Thursday workshop.
Cost & Registration
- There is no charge for the course; lunch and refreshments will be provided each day.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation, lodging, and other meals.
- Pre-registration is required and class size is limited.
- Pre-register no later than Wednesday, October 7, 2015.
- To register, send an e-mail to Pastor Stan Norman (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Pastor Gerri Harvill (email@example.com), the UMCOR Disaster Response Coordinators for the Pacific Northwest Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Include your name, contact information (mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number), and organization in your registration e-mail.
If you plan to attend just the Thursday workshop, please provide the same information by e-mail so materials and lunch can be provided. Preference will be given to current disaster case managers, those anticipating employment as disaster case managers in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon; and those most likely to supervise disaster case managers (pastors and long-term recovery officers and officials).