Nan McCurdy and Miguel Mairena are Board of Global Ministries Missionaries newly assigned as Mission Interpreters (mission ambassadors from Global Ministries) for the Western Jurisdiction. They are living in the California Pacific Conference and follow Rev. Jim Dwyer in this role.
As Mission Interpreters they are available to:
- Interpret the work of the General Board of Global Ministries as it connects the church in mission around the globe
- Encourage churches to enter into covenant relationships with our missionaries
- Participate in mission celebrations, schools of mission, and other mission events
- Serve as a resource for interpreting God’s mission by preaching, teaching, or facilitating about mission work.
- Share about our mission involvement. I very much enjoy sharing about my missionary experience and helping people get excited about God’s mission around the globe.
- Support social justice and other mission endeavors of the Conference
They hope you will call on them to bring you closer to our missionaries and Global Ministries Mission Programs like UMCOR (emergency relief and development), support for the National Plan for Hispanic/Latino Ministries, and the Global Mission Fellows program, a leadership development and mission service opportunity that allows young adults age 20 to 30 to take part in mission and social justice ministries in both international and domestic contexts.
Nan and Miguel served for many years in Nicaragua working with women and youth, especially in prevention of violence and promotion of gender equity. They also worked with Volunteer in Mission teams and educated about topics like US-Nicaragua relations, immigration and fair trade. One of eleven children, Miguel was raised on one of the Solentiname islands in Nicaragua’s great lake. He began primary school at age twenty and received a Master in Criminal Law at age fifty-six; he also studied at Wesley Seminary. Nan founded a sistering relationship between people of faith in Baltimore and a town in Nicaragua’s war zone in 1984. In 1990 she helped launch a foundation for Nicaraguan war victims. She served as Peace with Justice Educator for the Baltimore-Washington Conference in 1997 and on return to Nicaragua helped found the Women and Community Association.
Nan and Miguel hope you will call on them to assist you in your mission efforts, to provide resources for mission, and promote the wonderful work our missionaries are doing around the globe. They look forward to hearing from you: (949) 397-4729 or by email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org