Mason United Methodist Church
Director of Music Ministry
Position open – September 1, 2018
Approx. 15 hrs. per week
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Annual Salary range: $11,000-13,000
Subject – Music Director applicant
The successful candidate for Music Director at Mason UMC understands that this is a United Methodist faith community. The director will be an active member of the Worship Team, composed of the Pastor, lay staff and volunteers who study, plan, and lead various styles of Christian worship services. The music director views worship as a corporate activity connecting us with God. Worship is like a dance, prayerful and serious, becomes light-hearted and joyful, and back again. Our director will be a “People Person,” who engages in fellowship and mutual care with choir members and congregants. S/he demonstrates skills in vocal technique, teaching and directing choral music and is competent at the piano. S/he will encourage volunteers of all levels of experience who desire to contribute to the music ministry.
- Coordinate with the Pastor, Accompanist, and Worship Team in the selection of anthems and choral responses for each Sunday worship service and other seasonal events.
- Supervise/Coordinate instrumental music with the Organist/Accompanist and Worship Team.
- Meet monthly with the Pastor and Worship Team.
- Recruit and encourage choir members and instrumentalists to offer their musical gifts.
- Plan and lead weekly rehearsals one evening a week, September – June and arrange for worship music each Sunday during July – August.
- Additional rehearsals, section workshops, work with individuals and ensembles as needed. Choir must be FUN!
- Plan and lead Sunday morning warm-up with choir. Demonstrate a positive, upbeat, yet respectful attitude toward the sacred hour of worship.
- Seek feedback from choir members and congregants regularly, discuss and make adjustments so everyone receives the help they need in order for the choir to become an enjoyable, caring fellowship.
- Maintain the Music Library. Present a plan to the Worship Team for purchases of new music and equipment.
- With the help of the Worship Team prepare and submit a music budget annually.
- Report needed tuning and repairs of pianos and organ to the Worship Team. Arrange for needed services as approved.
- Additional meetings and activities as needed.
- Reports to the Pastor.
Education Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education preferred. Must demonstrate teaching and conducting skills and cooperative work with accompanist. Minimum one year experience leading a choral group.