Port Angeles First UMC: Administrative Assistant/Church Treasurer
JOB SUMMARY: The Administrative Assistant/Church Treasurer welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries. He or she coordinates much of the administrative work of the church office and provides administrative support for the pastoral staff and program staff. The person in this position is also responsible for the financial administration of the church by maintaining accurate financial records, ensuring proper accounting & distribution of funds and providing timely reports as required and requested. The responsibilities include reconciling monthly bank statements, entering weekly contributions, paying bills, issuing checks, completing payroll, and preparing financial reports.
- Familiarity with general office procedures either through formal training or equivalent experience.
- Honor confidentiality and handle confidential documents responsibly.
- Must possess good organization skills and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and the ability to multitask
- Proficiency with written and oral communication
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Social Media platforms (Facebook & Instagram), and QuickBooks
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with others to accomplish a task
- Bookkeeping experience, at least two years preferred
- Associates Degree or higher, preferred
- Must align with the vision, values, and doctrinal statement of United Methodist Church.
- Pass yearly background checks.
- Comply with FUMC Safe Church policies.
- Read the FUMC Employee Handbook. Sign document agreeing to comply with FUMC Employee Handbook terms and conditions
REPORTS TO: Pastor or Liaison for SPRC
HOURS & SCHEDULE:
Approximately 24 hours a week.
Standard Hours are Monday – Friday, 9 am – 2 pm; monthly evening Church Council and yearly Charge Conference meetings, as necessary
The compensation will be $20-$25/hour based on experience.
- Supports pastors, program staff & lay leaders with administrative needs.
- Make appointments for Pastor
- Answer phones and assist walk-in visitors as needed. Answer all telephone calls and direct to appropriate staff member.
- Check all phone messages and return calls as needed.
- Maintain a variety of records, including membership database, attendance, and visitor records.
- Compile the Charge Conference, Annual conference, and End-of-Year reports, including compiling information from staff, committee leaders, and ministry chairs, typing and production.
- Keep office and work area tidy and organized; file records, bulletins, office supply closet and cabinets Keep computer files organized, backed up.
- Attend church council meetings and Charge Conference, including taking and distributing minutes when needed.
- Order all office supplies, paper, toner, etc., including janitorial supplies, and worship supplies as requested by the Pastors or worship team
- Collecting all mail and dispersing to appropriate staff members
- Check all email accounts daily.
- Answer all telephone calls and direct to appropriate staff member.
- Collect names and addresses of all 1st time visitors and send a letter from the pastor.
- Write all donor and recipient memorial cards and envelopes and designate appropriate family and donor. Mail as soon as possible.
- Collect all dates for church activities, meetings and recreational programs, making all reservations ensuring that there are no conflicts and inputting into all calendars. Maintain church calendar, bulletin boards, and room allocation, in collaboration with Director of Ministry
- Coordinate with Facility Team for room assignments and outside group use
- Make all calls for routine and emergency maintenance of the building after Trustee Committee consultation.
- Prepare correspondence and other typing and copying for church staff and committee members. This includes follow-up on Tower Echoes (TE) articles not submitted Fridays, typing TE, print/fold/mail TE, and send TE electronically. For Worship Services, this includes typing, printing, and folding bulletins; printing Worship service scripts; and writing/sending Thursday all church email, and recording Worship attendance.
- Ensure the use of proper copier codes to track all paper use.
- Keep track of all new addresses and telephone numbers for new and current members of the church. Update the church directory and have a current copy available.
- Transfer all information pertaining to the transfer, death, or oncoming of member to the Membership Secretary. Also keep a hard copy of all information available for the Pastor for Charge Conference purposes.
TREASURER ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITES:
- Maintain complete and accurate records of all church financial, employment and business transactions. Assure that all financial, employment and business records and all transaction data are correctly, accurately, and timely documented and maintained
- Perform Accounts Payable – process invoices and check requests for payment, to include gathering required authorizations and cutting checks
- Balance and reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Process payroll
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial reports for budget owners and leadership team
- Prepare and distribute year-end 1099 filings
- Work with office manager to gather and appropriately file all new hire information
- Assist with annual budget preparation and budget load
- Prepare for and cooperate with those appointed to perform a yearly audit of financial records
- Assist in preparation of periodic and annual financial reports as required by the greater United Methodist Church
Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Monthly review with Supervisor
- First 90 days are probationary period
- Interim evaluation at 90 days, by Staff Parish Relations Committee
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to meeting you!