Camp Indianola, near Poulsbo (WA), has an immediate opening for a Summer Cook and Food Services Coordinator. This is a seasonal, full-time position and pays $23 an hour with overtime likely. Please see below for details:
Camp Indianola — Summer Cook and Food Services Coordinator
Directly responsible to Camp Director
Wages, Hours, and Benefits:
This is a seasonal job. It begins immediately and concludes in early September.
Depending on mutual interest, this position may possibly continue year-round. (Hours in September through May is variable, dependent on guest demand, but often averages 20 hours a week.)
Full time position with likely overtime.
If desired, basic camp-style housing is available with the position.
No benefits are provided beyond what is required by state and federal law. Continuing Education opportunities will be made available whenever possible. Worker’s Compensation is provided to cover job-related accidents and injuries. Staff member is responsible for all medical expenses due to illness.
This is not a viable commute from the east side of Puget Sound.
1. Articulate the mission, vision and values, serving as representative of Camp Indianola’s ministry in all instances, in both word and deed.
2. Design a menu of meal options, including options for alternative diets; emphasizing healthy, balanced, and appetizing meals; while minimizing food costs. [with Camp Director]
3. Schedule and manage [with Camp Director] assistant kitchen workers when necessary (often youth or young adults with varying levels of experience), including to follow COVID protocols.
4. Order and inventory ingredients, paying especial attention to quality of food, freshness, and rotation of foods to minimize food waste, while staying within the annual budget [with Hospitality Coordinator]
5. Keep kitchen clean and in good working order [with Facilities Manager]
6. Attend weekly staff meetings
7. Know and follow regulations governing kitchens and food service as published by various regulatory agencies
8. Operate the food service area according to International Association of Conference Center Administrators standards.
9. Determine quantities to be cooked and handling of leftovers
10. Be prepared to meet special guest needs: snacks, receptions, etc.
11. Responsible for efficient, safe and sanitary storage of all supplies
12. Oversee daily, weekly, monthly, yearly cleaning schedules for kitchen and dining room
13. Maintain all kitchen equipment
14. Other duties as assigned.
Note: These are exemplary duties only and the staff member agrees that the assembly functions as a total unit in which all staff share alike in contributing to its smooth operation. Staff members may be assigned responsibilities across job description lines.
• Committed to Camp Indianola’s mission
• Able to lift 30 pounds and carry it 25 feet
• Able to move 50 pounds occasionally
• Able to lift 25 pounds and place on a shelf 3 feet high or put in and out of a freezer
• Able to be on feet 8 or more hours per day
• Physical strength and mobility to accomplish tasks such as loading, lifting, kneeling and working with arms over head
• Able to read, understand and follow instructions and operational manuals
• Are self motivated and self directed
• Possess knowledge and experience of food service management, equipment and services
• Meet local health department requirements for working in the area of food service (i.e., TB shots, food handlers license)
• Ability to provide first aid and to assist campers, guests and staff in an emergency.
• Two or more years of experience in commercial food service or related area
• Ability to function well under pressure
• Ability to manage others effectively and compassionately
• Enjoys working with children and youth
• Basic computer experience, with the ability to learn to use new programs
Additional Beneficial Qualities:
• Creativity in menu design
• Enthusiasm about providing “culinary hospitality” to guests with dietary restrictions
• Excitement about working with fresh, local, and home-grown food.
• Interest in engaging children and youth in education about food, as a part of a holistic environmental education program
• Passion about food justice issues
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to Colin Cushman at email@example.com. Candidates must complete background check.