Wallingford United Methodist Church (WUMC) is a small, progressive, open and affirming, and
intergenerational church located in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle. As an inclusive
community, we exclude no one based on their gender and gender expression, sexual
orientation, race, socioeconomic background, ability, or religion. To learn more about our
church and community, visit wallingfordumc.org.
The Director for Children/Youth/Young Adults and Community Engagement has three major
- Develop and oversee children, youth and young adult programs
- Lead efforts to engage both members/friends and others in the work and life of the
- Help develop programming to invite the broader community to engage with WUMC.
This is a part-time salaried position for 20 – 30 hours per week. The director will report to the
Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Salaried position: $2,750/month
Major Job Responsibilities:
40% Child, Youth and Young Adult programs: Utilizing volunteers, ensure a strong place of connection and religious formation for youth and children. Oversee Sunday School, children’s messages during worship, and other programming for families/children. Working with the Worship Team, Pastor, and volunteers, promote ways for children and youth to participate in worship services and activities.
Young adults: Work with and support the young adult group, organize gathering times and, with their input, create appropriate programming such as Bible/spirituality study, service projects and social activities.
40% Community Engagement: Together with the Pastor and church leadership, establish and provide oversight for programming around multi-generational activities that engage the congregation with our
neighborhood and other various community groups.
Utilize social media and other platforms to boost the presence and recognition of WUMC in the
Ensure newcomers are invited into the life of WUMC.
Work with volunteers to ensure a system of tracking visitors and members is established so that newcomers and community members are welcomed and engaged appropriately. Liaise with volunteers to ensure potential new members are aware of connection opportunities, matching gifts with opportunities for service and fellowship.
20% Administration, Planning: Collaborate with Church leadership to develop a long-term outreach & community engagement plan. Participate in Program Team meetings.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to connect with diverse individuals and
- Working knowledge of child development and youth culture
- Ability to take pictures and post interesting, exciting, and upbeat information about the church
on social media platforms and our website
- Willingness to follow Safe Church policies and ensure volunteers and staff are in compliance
- Ability to work with diverse teams, encourage volunteers and develop others’ leadership skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Able to utilize & leverage technology and social media
- Approachable, open-minded, flexible, and adaptable
- Familiarity with Protestant/United Methodist Church polity and theology
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Theology, Ministry, or related field. Equivalent experience in
the field of education or children’s ministries may substitute
- Computer literacy and familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
To apply: submit applications materials to email@example.com.