Job Title: Choir Director at Mason United Methodist Church (UMC) Tacoma, WA
Reports to Pastor Susan Boegli and the Staff Parish Relations Committee
Position Status: Part time; approximately 6-8 hours/week, including choir rehearsal and Sunday Morning Service. Salary commensurate with experience.
This job posting will close September 1st. During the interview process, we will ask you to meet with the Staff Parish Relations Committee and lead an informal practice with members of our choir.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references. You may send care of the Staff Parish Relations Committee to email@example.com, subject: Choir Director Application, or mail to Mason United Methodist Church, Attention Staff Parish Relations Committee, 2710 North Madison Street, Tacoma, WA 98407.
The Church Choir Director leads and directs the choir during all worship services and all seasonal and special services. They are also responsible for scheduling choir rehearsals, selecting appropriate music, and working with the organist.
· With the Pastor or worship team, select and plan choral, small group or individual special music for each service.
· Select and schedule hymn leaders to lead worship or serve as the hymn leader.
· Lead Rehearsal of the Choir for their active participation and leadership role in the scheduled Sunday Worship Service or special/seasonal worship service. Rehearsal times to be determined. In the past, hours have included a weekday evening rehearsal at 7pm for 1-2 hours and a Sunday morning rehearsal at 9am before the 10am service.
· Select choral anthems to be sung by the choir. Music should be appropriate for use in the service and, if possible, follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor whenever possible and given to the accompanist well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
· Perform duties in the position in a cordial and cooperative manner.
· Familiarity with worship and a wide variety of church choir material.
· Carry out the above expectations to the best of their ability.
· Substitute directors for rehearsal or performance and the compensation will be the responsibility of the Choir Director.
Education and/or Experience:
· A choral director degree is preferred, but not required. We will also consider college/university students pursuing their degree in music education or related degree.
· Prior experience as a choral director is preferred. Please include practicum experience if you are working on your degree.
· References supporting performance as a choral director.
Dependability is essential; tardiness and excessive absences will not be tolerated. Immediate termination will occur in cases of intentional verbal, physical or emotional abuse or neglect of any child, parent, or church member.
Mason United Methodist Church (UMC) is located in Tacoma’s Proctor District. We are a welcoming church and accept all people regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality, race, ethnicity, and religious beliefs. With our location and size of our facilities, we host several organizations and events in the Proctor Community. We expect our staff to be respectful of the beliefs of others. Mason UMC will respect the beliefs of our staff. We do not ask our staff to make a statement of faith or require participation in religious practices or services. We require all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including a booster shot.
We look forward to meeting you!