Trinity UMC (Ballard, WA): P/T Choir Director
Trinity United Methodist Church’s Choir Director supports the worship experience, spiritual growth, and creative potential of a small, progressive Christian church in Seattle’s Ballard/Crown Hill neighborhoods. Our future choir director will help lead a talented and diverse choir in a bi-monthly choral anthem, a choir retreat, a Festival of Light/Christmas concert, and an additional commitment during Holy Week.
Trinity’s choir was amongst those selected to perform at the Lincoln Center in 2016. We’ve included a few links to previous performances. The choir has not been performing since March of 2020, but there are still several committed and talented members of our choir eager to participate again.
Key Responsibilities for this Position Include:
● Recruit, train, lead and direct the choir and ensembles from the choir.
● Research, select, and procure liturgically relevant choral music for weekly Sunday service and other seasonal worship events under the supervision of the Pastor.
● Plan performances of music for Sunday Services from September through June. The number of performances per month will be determined by the Pastor, and Choir Director. Performances to include the full choir, smaller ensembles of choir members when the full choir is not performing, or performances of special music by others. The expectation is that the choir director will be present for these performances.
● Lead weekly choir practices September through June with extra rehearsals for seasonal performances at the discretion of the Choir Director.
● Plan special performances of the choir to include, but not be limited to the Festival of Light concert (Christmas) and Good Friday.
● Manage the “Choir Fund,” which may be used for non-budgeted items needed by the Choir and/or as a funding base for special Choir-related performances/events. Money for this fund is raised through donations at the yearly Festival of Light concert and expenditures must receive Pastor approval.
● Provide ongoing care and nurture for the choir members.
● Participate in bi-monthly one-on-one meetings with Pastor.
● Work an average of 7-10 hours per week, including time at Sunday service performance and rehearsals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Demonstrate enthusiasm for and enjoyment of creating music as a part of worship.
● Understand that the music program is an integral part of the ministry of TUMC and strives for excellence.
● Create musical experiences that engage and excite the choir members as well as the entire congregation.
● Demonstrate strong choral music directing skills.
● Comfortable altering lyrics to be gender inclusive.
● Serve as a positive role model.
● Reliable, punctual, and a self-starter.
● Demonstrate excellent people skills and sensitivity when working with staff, volunteers,and members of the congregation.
● Affirm TUMC’s Values (identified below) and our Joy and Justice value system.
● Formal training in choral conducting, music leadership, or music education, or equivalent experience.
● At least two years of experience as a choir director.
● Experience with a variety of musical genre.
● God as a loving, compassionate presence deeply involved in the repair of creation
● Grounded Biblically, rooted in heritage, guided by reason and open to change through new experience
● Emphasis on contemporary examples of Christ-shaped faithfulness, and those who role model this faithfulness
● Environmental care and faithful stewardship of the Earth
● A community where it is understood that “family” has many meanings and configurations, all worthy of respect and affirmation
● Trinitarian theology that is open to partnership with all faiths
● Jubilee as a theological focus
● Welcome and affirm sexual minorities
● Social responsibility
● A safe place to have fun and receive blessing
● Hospitality as the Christian way
● Lifting up women’s and minorities’ stories
Each staff member is required to:
● Pass a background check.
● Sign TUMC’S “Safe Sanctuary Policy”.
● Provide references attesting to the knowledge, skills, and abilities described above.
● Participate in an annual performance review.
Send Cover Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Trinity United Methodist Church
Attn: SPRC/Choir Director Position
8500 14th Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98117