Wallingford UMC (Seattle, WA): P/T Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministry
Employment type: part-time
Reports to: The Director reports to the WUMC pastor.
Wallingford United Methodist Church (WUMC) is a church of 150-200 members and friends that celebrates diversity, affirms the inclusiveness of God, and actively works for peace and justice locally and globally.
We welcome and affirm people of every gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation, who are also of every age, race, ethnicity, physical and mental ability, level of education, and family structure, and of every economic, immigration, marital and social status and so much more. To learn more about our church and community, visit wallingfordumc.org.
The Director of Children, Youth and Family (CYF) Ministry is an enthusiastic and progressive Christian with a passion for working with children, youth and families. They have the education and experience required to work with church leadership to direct and implement a strong CYF ministry.
- Recruit, train and support volunteers for the CYF programs.
- Plan, design, and carry out CYF programs and activities.
- Develop a plan for establishing and maintaining relationships with youth.
- Design and lead a plan for outreach to children, youth, and families in the community.
- Be present in the life of the church as time allows.
- Communicate weekly with WUMC pastor and other staff members to coordinate CYF activities with other WUMC and church building use activities. Attend staff meetings when requested by WUMC pastor.
- Advocate for children, youth, and families within the congregation.
- Manage the administrative aspects of the CYF ministry, such as budget, records, mailings, working in partnership with the CYF Ministry Team.
- Attend training to be able to ensure that Safe Sanctuary policy is publicized and implemented.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Exhibit Christian faith and call consistent with WUMC’s progressive teachings.
- Convey a genuine concern for and enjoyment of children, youth and families.
- Exhibit empathy, welcoming and supportive presence.
- Function as a team player and maintain positive working relationships.
- Maintain healthy boundaries between self and others.
- Maintain a healthy work/life balance.
- Exhibit enthusiasm for working with a diverse and inclusive faith community.
- Practice strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Understand the stages of faith and spiritual development.
- Excel in project management and implementation.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, planning, goal-setting, and time management skills.
- Effectively use technology to communicate with the congregation and publicize events and activities.
Hours and Compensation: The Director is a 20-25 hour a week position at $25.00 an hour that includes a health care stipend. The director should generally expect to be in attendance and onsite for educational programming including Sundays; however, the director has considerable flexibility to determine hours worked.
Application and Questions: To apply for this position, please send a cover letter expressing interest and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions should also be directed to this site.
Wallingford United Methodist Church is a progressive, reconciling church and an Equal Opportunity Employer.