- This event has passed.
Lay Transitions Workshop – Vancouver District
June 4, 2016 @ 3:00 pm - 5:30 pmFree
In order to support you and your congregation as you experience a pastoral transition this year, the Vancouver District is offering a Laity Transition Workshop on Saturday, June 4th from 3-5:30pm at Vancouver First United Methodist Church.
In the workshop, you can expect to:
- Explore the normal feelings and reactions during the time of a pastoral change;
- Become familiar with a transition model that helps you be aware of the natural stages of transition;
- Learn how to have a good “ending”, including techniques for an exit interview, and ways of saying a good “goodbye”;
- Gain suggestions of ways for church leaders to share and listen effectively with grieving or anxious parishioners.
- Become aware of what life will be like in an interim period between the “ending” and the “new beginning”;
- Learn ways of saying a good “hello” including specific resources to get acquainted;
- Consider ways to manage the reality of shifting leadership styles of departing and arriving pastors for your congregation.
The workshop will be led by Rev. Melinda Holloway, an ordained elder, Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Supervisor, and educator in the areas of pastoral care, grief/loss, and clergy and congregational transitions.
Our experience has been that it is good to involve as many members of the S/PPR Committee as possible in the workshop. We also suggest that you strongly urge other key elected leadership to attend, as well as lay program staff your church may have. Any other lay participants are also encouraged to attend. Any number of persons can be accommodated in the workshop. Please register by Monday, May 30th as a packet of handouts will be provided for each participant.