Basic Lantern Decorating Instructions
- Paper lanterns (purchase in packs of 10 through Amazon; purchase in bulk through Paper Lantern Store.) Use white or colors!
- Variety pack of colored tissue paper
- Craft paint brushes (one for each participant)
- White glue, such as Elmer’s
- Jars or heavy containers (each container can be shared among 3-4 participants)
- Scissors (can be shared among 1-2 participants)
- Paper to make tags.
- Dilute glue in jars using a mixture of half glue, half water.
- Hang string like a clothesline across your space. This is where participants will hang wet lanterns to dry.
- Imagine how you might depict your prayer. Images can be concrete or abstract.
- Cut tissue paper into collage pieces.
- Insert the wire frame into your lantern. (It’s common to accidentally poke a hole in the lantern while doing this, so be careful!)
- Use the brush to dab a bit of glue solution on the lantern. Stick tissue to the glue, then brush a thin layer of glue solution over the tissue. Repeat.
- Make a tag and attach it to your lantern. Include:
- Your name and (optional) age
- Your church
- Your City, State and Country
- One sentence about your prayer. Example, “I pray for communities experiencing extreme drought.”
- Hang your lantern to dry.