United Church in University Place (United Church of Christ and United Methodist) seeks a part-time church office administrator (12-14 hours per week, typically three mornings). This individual supports the work of our welcoming and justice-oriented congregation and pastor by managing communications, coordinating building access, and maintaining church records. Qualified candidates will hold at least a high school diploma or equivalent and have three year’s administrative experience, with competency in Microsoft Office products. To apply, email a cover letter and resume to Chair, UCUP SPR Committee at email@example.com. No in-person applications or phone calls, please. Hourly wage dependent on qualifications. Open until filled; submit materials by April 13th for immediate consideration.
To provide clerical and administrative support as needed by the pastor, church officers and committee chairs in accomplishing the work of United Church in University Place.
Supervised by the church pastor on a day-to-day basis and accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee for overall job performance.
- Respond to church office emails, phone messages and visitors in a helpful and pleasant manner. Communicate visitor information to the pastor and Congregational Care committee. Work with the pastor and volunteers to complete day-to-day tasks.
- Support the pastor in preparing the weekly Sunday service bulletin, the bulletin insert, and any additional bulletins for special services.
- Maintain church calendars. Coordinate with church officers and committee chairs for meetings, space and other needs as requested.
- Maintain current roster and contact lists of members. Maintain paper and electronic church records and files. Create certificates as needed.
- Coordinate building use by outside groups with approval of the Facilities Chair and the pastor. Manage building keys and other church access needs. Act as point of contact for the Narrows Co-op Preschool, copier maintenance and the janitorial service. Ensure sufficient janitorial and copier supplies are on hand.
- Act as point of contact for payroll service. Assist Treasurer in reconciling bank statements and producing financial reports; support annual audit requests; maintain financial files.
- Request and edit newsletter articles; handle newsletter layout and distribution. Support advertising and communications efforts, including updating the website at least twice per month.
- Coordinate completion, distribution and archiving of denominational annual reports (UCC and UMC) and the church annual report to the congregation.
- Produce letterhead, brochures, registrations slips, pledge cards, forms, church directory, etc.
Skills and Qualities Desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality appropriately
- Familiarity with church operations and/or supporting volunteers and paid staff
- Demonstrated pleasant and welcoming attitude
- High School Diploma or Equivalent; college credits/degree a plus
- Three years’ experience as an administrative assistant or in similar support role
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Competent in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook) and Google Docs
- Part-time, 12-14 hours per week; typically three weekday mornings, with some flexibility.
- Paid Vacation, scheduled in advance: three days (12 hours) in first year; six days (24 hours) in second year; nine days (36 hours) after completion of fifth year. Vacation does not roll over. Pro-rated in first year of employment.
- Ten paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- Sick Leave accrued at one hour per each 40 hours worked (or current state-mandated rate); available after 30 days of employment; can roll over up to 40 hours annually.
- Additional unpaid leave negotiable with the Pastor in the case of illness of self or need to care for family members.
Wages and Benefits
Part-time, hourly position, wage dependent on qualifications, starts at $16/hour. No benefits other than paid leave noted above. Mileage and expenses for church business will be reimbursed.
Submit a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position, along with a current resume, to:
Chair, Staff Parish Relations Committee
United Church in University Place
3912 Grandview Dr W
University Place, WA 98466
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No in-person or phone inquiries, please. Open until filled; submit materials by April 13th for immediate consideration.