Simpson UMC (Pullman, WA) seeking applications for two part-time positions
Simpson United Methodist Church, in Pullman WA is seeking applicants for two positions within our organization.
The first position is The Assistant to the Pastor, to support the day-to-day operations of our church. This position requires 20 hours per week and is flexible with some on-site time required, and the remainder of the hours can be accomplished either on-site or remotely (with your own computer equipment). The successful candidate must be able to work independently and as part of a group. Computer (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Publisher) and social media skills are imperative. The ability to use video equipment and use video editing software is imperative. The successful candidate will have good people skills (which includes situational discernment), must have a positive attitude, be professional and have good organizational skills.
The second position is The Assistant to the Director of the Wesley Foundation, WSU to support the day-to-day operations of our organization. This position requires 10 hours per week. The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as part of a group. Computer (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Publisher) and social media skills are imperative to the success of this candidate. The successful candidate will have good people skills (which includes situational discernment), must have a positive attitude, be professional and have good organizational skills.
Although these are two separate positions, the right candidate could be hired to do both. Please indicate in your cover letter if you are applying for:
- Assistant to the Pastor of Simpson UMC
- Assistant to the Director of the Wesley Foundation, WSU
- OR a combination of both positions
Application review begins July 13th and remains open until the position is filled.
The successful candidate could potentially begin employment as early as July 26th.
Starting pay is $15.00 per hour or DOE.
The successful applicant is subject to a background check.
To apply, please include a resume and cover letter describing how your talents and qualifications match the job duties outlined below. Questions and applications should be directed to SPRC Chair, Carrie Coen at email@example.com.
Assistant to the Pastor at Simpson United Methodist Church
The Assistant to the Pastor at Simpson United Methodist Church (approximately 80 hours/month):
The Assistant to the Pastor shall:
- Provide support and assistance to the Pastor to fulfill the mission of Simpson United Methodist Church
- Reception; includes all tasks associated with being a receptionist to include such items as answering the phone, answering e-mails, distributing/processing mail and greeting visitors. The successful candidate should be able to positively represent SUMC in all these interactions. This portion of the position is infrequent and will only be necessary in the pastor’s absence from regular office hours.
- Admin; all tasks that would typically fall under the purview of “administrative maintenance,” such as filing and report writing. The successful candidate should be proficient at using Excel/Word to complete these duties.
- Create weekly newsletters/bulletins, assisting with promotional activities and creating promotional materials to keep the congregation and other supporters informed of SUMC happenings. There are two main parts to this (listed below) and the successful candidate should be able to create all the materials in a timely matter with little or no assistance.
- Media; refers to all tasks associated to the creation of our Simpson Weekly. These tasks include but aren’t limited to gathering appropriate art, articles, and creation of a “Publisher File,” as well as the final distribution at the end of the week. Skills should include graphics and multi-media experience.
- Worship; includes all tasking that supports the maintenance of our weekly worship program which includes music folder prep, creating the worship PowerPoint, creating the worship bulletin and script, and any other tasks that might be uniquely assigned by the pastor. This also includes a weekly worship meeting typically held on Monday.
- Maintain the SUMC website and social media sites (i.e. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter). The successful candidate should have the knowledge/skills to update these pages with little or no assistance. This includes weekly website updates with video links, changes to the homepage and inclusion of the bulletin and weekly news.
- Video and livestream weekly Sunday worship service
- Keep track of weekly worship attendance and relay that information to the church Bookkeeper
- Provide inventory control and ordering of church office supplies
- Collaborate and communicate with the local churches and with the Pacific Northwest Conference as needed.
- Report writing to include annual church report and letter writing correspondence as needed.
- Email and phone correspondence as needed
- Communicate with building use committee and create documents as needed
- Be able to work independently to make sure the work each week is completed with little supervision
- Complete any other assigned duties as required
Assistant to the Director of the Wesley Foundation, WSU
The Assistant to the Director of The Wesley Foundation, WSU (approximately 40 hours/month):
The Assistant to the Director shall:
- Provide support and assistance to the Director to fulfill the mission of the Wesley Foundation through assuring correspondence is communicated and to confirm attendance at meetings
- Work with WF director and board to fundraise and maintain finances (collecting receipts) for this ministry
- This includes preparing the annual grant application
- Create quarterly newsletters, assisting with promotional activities on campus and creating promotional materials to keep alumni and other supporters informed of WF happenings
- Maintain the WF website and social media sites (i.e. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter).
- Connect local United Methodist Churches with the ministry of the WF
- Connect with churches within the Pacific Northwest Conference in order to create a list of UM students attending WSU
- Will organize volunteers, procure needed supplies and prep for the Wednesday night dinner and clean up after dinner (during the WSU academic year). This requires an on-site presence (typically from 3 pm-6:30 pm on Wednesday evenings during the WSU academic school year)
- Represent the Wesley Foundation at the WSU all-campus picnic (August)
- Sign up for spot
- Order and put together the swag
- Attend event and connect with students
- Potential to attend the Greater Northwest Annual Conference to represent the Wesley Foundation in June of each year
- Complete any other assigned duties as needed