Title: Youth & Children’s Ministry Director
Reports to: Lead Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee
FLSA: Non-exempt, Hourly
Average Weekly Hours: 20
The Youth and Children’s Ministry Director is responsible to motivate and nurture youth and children in their Christian spiritual and social development and help them to understand and apply the Bible to their lives. This position will play a major role in the faith development of all ages within the church, both as a leader and as a role model. Fairwood Community United Methodist Church (FCUMC) seeks a person who has a solid understanding of the foundations of Christian faith, and who has a strong desire to nurture youth and children in the Christian faith. The person will be familiar with or willing to learn the United Methodist Church doctrine/discipline. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs, who also values the team concept of ministry, and accepts suggestions from the Youth and Children Council leaders and the program volunteers.
- Develop a Youth and Children’s Ministry (Y&CM) strategic plan that supports the mission and vision of FCUMC
- Take a leadership role, in conjunction with the youth, children and music program volunteers, in curriculum development, implementation and evaluation of youth and children program plans.
- Utilize a wide range of technology, including online resources, to effectively administer this Y&CM program
- Team with the Youth and Children’s Council Leaders to recruit, train, and supervise teachers, leaders, and other volunteers in the education program, assisting in the classroom as needed
- Actively recruit children, youth and young families through church supported activities and programs in the community
- Coordinate, promote, implement, and lead stimulating programs (including online programs as needed) for youth and children to include Sunday School, fellowship group activities, seasonal/special events, outreach opportunities, and youth mission trip(s)
- Communicate program news frequently with the Pastor, participants, families and the congregation through worship, newsletters, bulletins, church calendar and social media as needed
- Lead in the preparation and development of the annual budget for Y&CM
- Comply with Safe Church Guidelines (must be at least 4 years older than senior high youth)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A degree or background in a relevant field of study
- Spiritual maturity and high moral and ethical conduct
- A calling and passion for working with youth and children with the ability to build nurturing relationships with them and their families
- Ability to work effectively as a team with Y&CM volunteers and church staff
- Good organizational, teaching, administration and technology skills, including online platforms
- An understanding of child and adolescent development and skill levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to recruit, train, organize and motivate volunteers
- Ability to encourage multi-generational fellowship and connection
- Shares the vision, philosophy of ministry, and commitments of FCUMC
- Participate with other Christian ministry professionals in the community as opportunities arise that fit within the church’s purpose and ministry vision
COMPENSATION & TERMS
The Youth and Children’s Ministry Director position requires flexible hours and includes evenings and weekends. This position will work an average of 20 hours per week with the understanding that some weeks will be less and some will be more. The pay rate will be $20.00 per hour,with consideration of education and experience. Successful completion of a background check is required for employment.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled, with preference given to applications received by Sunday, August 2, 2020.
ABOUT THE EMPLOYER
Fairwood Community United Methodist Church is a reconciling church that seeks to minister with all people, regardless of race/ethnicity, socio-economic status or sexual orientation. We affirm that everyone is a person of sacred worth and our mission is to build community through Christian faith and service where all belong.