Edmonds United Methodist Church in Edmonds, WA is looking for an organist to join their staff. Continue reading for a description of the position.
The work is achieved by playing 42 ranks, 3-manual tracker organ, as well as piano. This work includes solo organ performance, hymn leadership on the organ, and accompaniment of soloists and our four choirs.
Role and Responsibilities
- Plays key role in researching, selecting and providing organ/piano music for themes of the day as selected by Sr. Pastor for Sunday worship services and other services as directed by Music Director including but not limited to Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas Eve and Christmas.
- Safeguard and troubleshoot the organ and oversee remedying of issues.
- Plays key role in imagining, planning and executing outreach efforts including new initiatives and focused musical efforts to attract new members.
- Accompanies Chancel Choir for weekly rehearsals and other rehearsals as needed.
- Accompanies guest musicians, groups, choirs as directed by Music Director.
- Participates in team meetings relating to music as well as staff meetings, planning meetings, and key outreach efforts.
- Other meetings as needed or requested by Music Director or Sr. Pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in sacred music organ performance.
- Minimum of five years demonstrated on-going experience in church setting.
- Demonstrated ability to play 42 ranks, 3-manual tracker organ in solo, accompanist and improvisational role with smooth transitions and confident style in fluid situation with multiple different audiences. (see footnote)
- Experience in diverse range of musical styles including German and French Romantic repertoire as well as German Baroque.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse community groups and individuals through music selection and performance, as well as in person after performances.
- Ability to quickly learn advanced organ repertory for professional, confident level organ and piano music at each service.
- Advanced level understanding of hymnody and liturgy in Methodist tradition.
- Proven ability to mobilize volunteers and build community, including using technology and social media.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Edmonds United Methodist Church, 828 Caspers Street, Edmonds, WA 98020