Western Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church
|Job Title: WJ Mission Cabinet Project Manager/Organizer |
|Status: Part-time (20 hours per week) |
This is an 11-month contracted position.
|Department: WJ Mission Cabinet||Effective Date: Upon Hire|
|Supervisor: WJ Mission Cabinet Executive Team |
(College of Bishops President, Lead DCM, WJ Leadership Team Chair)
The Western Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church is committed to being a home for all God’s people gathered around a table of reconciliation and transformation. We are seeking an individual to assist existing leaders in the work of listening deeply to diverse groups of United Methodists in the West and to help to coordinate our efforts to live into this commitment.
The Western Jurisdiction is actively engaged in a process to identify ways forward related to our missional commitment to celebrate diversity. This position will provide appropriate support and assistance to the Annual Conferences, The Mission Cabinet, Leadership Team, and grassroots movements within the jurisdiction as they determine how best to embody a wholistic, inclusive expression of United Methodism that reflects the wide diversity found within the West so that we can best strengthen our evangelical witness in the 21st century.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Collaborate with the Mission Cabinet in providing direction and coordination for jurisdiction-wide workgroups.
- To work with Directors of Connectional Ministry in each annual conferenceand Conference Communicators within the Western Jurisdiction to further collaboration and the sharing of information internally and externally.
- To help create appropriate tools and processes that advance the Western Jurisdiction’s desire to be a leading and active participant in creating a new Methodist movement.
- To work with the emerging coalition of those interested in networking for a new Methodist movementso that we utilize the skills and talents of interested parties throughout the jurisdiction and the larger church.
- To help staff relevant jurisdictional events and gatherings.
- To collect and communicate relevant information on how each of the Annual Conferences within the Western Jurisdiction are organizing, planning, and deciding on future directions.
- To identify and help in the development of resource materials that will foster the movement of inclusivity at the local church level.
Supervisor: The WJ Mission Cabinet Executive Team
Qualifications & Skills for This Position:
- Prior experience and strong commitment to working with individuals with diverse cultures, political persuasions, theological expressions, and life experiences
- Strategic thinking with an understanding of critical transition moments
- Prior experience with project management, coalition building, and community organizing
- Organizational systems understanding
- Demonstrate a sense of cross-cultural understanding and competency
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Ability to prioritize work demands from competing needs and utilize appropriate resources involved in different settings
- Relationship building skills
- Problem-solving skills
The project manager will be compensated $42-50 per hour, DOE, for up to an average of 20 hours per week over the 11 months of the contract. The position also includes a generous professional expense account and access to program funds but does not include health or retirement benefits.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter and resume along with three professional references to email@example.com by September 20, 2019. Applicant questions can be directed to the Rev. David Valera, Executive Director of Connectional Ministries for the PNW Conference, at firstname.lastname@example.org.