General Conference Climate Vigil
Thursday, May 12, 2016 | 7:30PM | Oregon Convention Center Plaza
Climate change is happening right now. It’s impacting communities worldwide. As stewards of God’s creation, we must pray together and discern how we will respond.
The General Conference Climate Vigil is gathering prayers from United Methodists who grieve the ways climate change is already impacting creation, and who yearn to protect all of God’s good earth from its worst impacts.
Vigil participants will carry lanterns lit by small LED lights. The vigil will include music and testimony from United Methodists around the world as we lift their experiences on the front lines of climate change to God in prayer.
All United Methodists Can Participate
To create a visual representation of the prayers of the whole church, United Methodists worldwide are invited to create and decorate lanterns for vigil participants to carry. You can either decorate store-bought lanterns or create your own using local materials. Large-scale lanterns and lit puppets are welcome!
You are responsible for transporting your lanterns to General Conference. Here are some ideas:
- Come to General Conference and bring them with you.
- If you aren’t attending, you can mail them to us at: Pacific Northwest Conference Office, Attn: Climate Vigil, P.O. Box 13650, Des Moines, WA 98198
Lanterns can be dropped at the Climate Vigil Booth in the Exhibit Hall or at the Oregon Convention Center Plaza on the day of the event.
Important! Please label your lantern by attaching a tag. Include:
- Your name and (optional) age
- Your church
- Your City, State and Country
- One sentence about your prayer. Example, “I pray for communities experiencing extreme drought.”