Browns Point United Methodist Church in NE Tacoma is looking for a part-time (10 hours a week; $13-$16 DOE per hour) office coordinator to strengthen the congregation’s ability to live out its mission to love God and neighbor, serve the internal and wider community, and to grow in their faith by providing a welcoming atmosphere and an effective and efficient office.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and any questions to Pastor Katie Klosterman at email@example.com.
POSITION: Office Administrator
STATUS: Part time
EFFECTIVE: June 20, 2017
The office coordinator will strengthen the congregation’s ability to live out its mission to love God and neighbor, serve the internal and wider community, and to grow in their faith by providing a welcoming atmosphere and an effective and efficient office.
- Provides administrative support for the pastor
- Serves as BPUMC initial point of contact during work hours, greeting and appropriately directing visitors
- Answers telephone inquiries; screens, takes messages and directs calls as needed
- Maintains BPUMC email account
- Sorts and distributes mail
- Updates and maintains weekly e-newsletter and distributes to congregation via email
- Proofreads weekly worship bulletin, prepares inserts of prayers, announcements, and upcoming calendar events and weekly connection card; prints final bulletin and inserts
- Emails final copy of the bulletin to Worship Team and Sunday Liturgist
- Updates prayer requests and communicates as needed
- Maintains accurate files, calendars of events and facility usage, electronic database, and directories for BPUMC
- Orders and supervises use and maintenance of office supplies and equipment
- Coordinates, trains and supervises volunteers to assist with office tasks and provide vacation coverage
- Updates skills as needed for proficient use of current office technology
- Performs other duties as assumed or assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrates administrative skills, including familiarity with current computer programs
- Ability to manage time, perform duties with minimal supervision, and maintain confidentiality
- Christian spirit, ability to work with people, and pleasant personality
- Frequent handling and finger manipulation
- Frequent near acuity, hearing, and speaking
- Frequent sitting, with intermittent standing and walking
- Occasional lifting and carrying to 25 pounds
- Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces that must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
- Confidentiality: Respects and adheres to ethical principles regarding data protection and confidentiality of any information obtained as part of the professional activity.
- Hospitality: Generates a sense of hospitality and/or accessibility by his/her very presence; communicates a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability; fosters natural connections between members of the congregation and with visitors; supports a culture of welcoming and connection in the life of the congregation.
- Time Management: Able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to organizational goals; uses time effectively and efficiently; concentrates his/her efforts on the most important priorities; balances priorities appropriately.
- Ability to Work Independently: Able to take a project from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Office Technology: Proficient in use of all standard office equipment including but not limited to copier and printer and relevant computer software; able to apply technical skills to produce and maintain records, mailings, correspondence and other documents, and post on social media; willing to update skills as needed commensurate with updated technology and changing needs of the church.
- Written and Oral Communication Skills: Ability to express self professionally with clarity. Ability to proofread church documents for accuracy.