Bremerton United Methodist Church is seeking applicants for the position of Minister of Children and Family. A description of the position follows. If you are interested in the position, please email the church at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church at (360) 373-3510.
Position: 1⁄2 time / Non-Exempt
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervision: Interns and volunteers in our Children’s and Family ministries
Job Summary: The Minister of Children/and Family oversees, coordinates and resources the church’s ministries with children and families in support of our mission of “making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” (The emphasis is placed on ministering in cooperation with other staff, volunteers and student leaders to ensure that our church builds dynamic ministries that will reach and disciple our children/youth/young adults and families.
Qualifications: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Be a committed follower of Jesus, seeking to know, love and serve God
- Endorse and support the mission and ethos of Bremerton United Methodist Church
- Have a deep and abiding love for people, especially children and young adults and families, and a willingness to connect with them, build relationships with them, and facilitate their spiritual growth
- Have a history of self-direction and being a self-starter
- Bring a solid theological background, with an understanding and appreciation of our Methodist doctrine
- Able to conduct one-on-one counseling sessions and provide spiritual direction when necessary
- Able to effectively teach students and adults
- Leaning into spiritual gifts of administration, teaching, and evangelism
- Committed to train volunteer leaders, delegate work to others, and provide follow-up
- Comfort in speaking to and leading large and small groups
- Preach from time to time, if willing and have the gifts
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, screen, manage, motivate, equip and support the staff, volunteer leaders and Intergenerational worship, and others working with children and family ministries.
- Lead effective, relevant communication with students and their families
- Advocate for children, youth, and young adults
- Establish and keep ministry work schedule/hours as approved by supervisor
- Provide goal setting and performance management tasks for staff members reporting to them
- Regularly connect and converse with volunteers, families, and young people within and outside the program setting
- Manage budget components related to ministries to children, youth, young adults, and families
- Work with the Staff to coordinate program logistics as related to facilities, etc.
- Be a team player. When everyone on the team wins…everyone wins.
- Provide leadership and direction for programming for families and young adults, including children’s programs, Intergenerational worship planning, small groups, ministry teams, Bible Studies, mission trips, and special events (i.e. camps, retreats, etc.)
- Provide leadership and direction for evangelism and marketing to attract more students, families, and young adults into our programs; coordinating with our communications person.