Wallingford United Methodist Church (WUMC) is a church of 150-200 members and friends that celebrates diversity, affirms the inclusiveness of God, and actively works for peace and justice locally and globally. We seek to minister with all people, regardless of race/ethnicity, socio-economic status or sexual/affectional orientation. We affirm that everyone is a person of sacred worth.
Reports to: The Director reports to the WUMC pastor, collaborates closely with the Children Youth and Family (CYF) Ministry Team, and is evaluated by the pastor and a representative of the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
The Director of Children, Youth and Family (CYF) Ministry is an enthusiastic and progressive Christian with a passion for working with children, youth and families. He or she has the education and experience required to work successfully with the CYF Ministry Team and church leadership to develop, implement, and oversee programs for children, youth, and families in support of the ministry of WUMC. This is a 30 hour per week position that includes evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Work in partnership with the pastor and church leaders to establish and maintain an active CYF Ministry Team
- Recruit, train and support volunteers for the CYF programs, working in partnership with the CYF Ministry Team
- Plan, design, and carry out CYF programs and activities, working in partnership with the CYF Ministry Team.
- Develop a plan for establishing and maintaining relationships with youth v Design and lead a plan for outreach to children, youth, and families in the community.
- Be present in the life of the church as time allows
- Communicate weekly with WUMC pastor and other staff members to coordinate CYF activities with other WUMC and church building use activities. Attend staff meetings when requested by WUMC pastor
- Advocate for children, youth, and families within the congregation
- Manage the administrative aspects of the CYF ministry, such as budget, records, mailings, working in partnership with the CYF Ministry Team
- Attend training to be able to ensure that Safe Sanctuary policy is publicized and implemented
- CYF Ministry Team is established and meeting regularly.
- CYF programs are operating as planned by the team.
- Youth are regularly contacted by an adult as planned by the team. v Attendance at Children, Youth and Family events expands.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Exhibit Christian faith and call consistent with WUMC’s progressive teachings v Convey a genuine concern for and enjoyment of children, youth and families v Exhibit empathy, welcoming and supportive presence
- Function as a team player and maintain positive working relationships
- Maintain healthy boundaries between self and others
- Maintain a healthy work/life balance
- Exhibit enthusiasm for working with a diverse and inclusive faith community
- Practice strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Understand the stages of faith and spiritual development.
- Excel in project management and implementation
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, planning, goal-setting, and time management skills
- Effectively use technology to communicate with the congregation and publicize events and activities
Hours and Compensation: The Director is a 30-hour a week position at $20.00 an hour that includes health care benefits for the director. The director should generally expect to be in attendance and onsite for educational programming including Sundays.; however, the director has some flexibility to determine hours worked. Hours should average 30 hours a week over the course of the year; however, hours can be flexed between weeks so that more hours are available during busy periods (e.g., Easter and Christmas) and fewer hours are worked during slower periods (e.g., summer months). The Director will have four Sundays off each year as part of vacation but will be expected to be present on Christmas Eve and Easter.
Wallingford United Methodist Church is a progressive, reconciling church and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application: Send resume and cover letter or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.